Rev. W. Herbert George's book, The History of Negro Churches in Surry County, Virginia, published around 1983 states that:
Mr. George’s account goes on to say that “Rev. Baylor Wyatt, Williamsburg, a veteran of the War Between the States, was the first pastor.” A second account of Lebanon’s history was published in October 1969. This account was compiled by Mrs. Parthenia Harrison and Mr. Alex Bailey and published in the anniversary bulletin entitled “One Hundredth Anniversary 1869-1969, Lebanon Baptist Church, Surry, Virginia.” It gives the following information as Lebanon’s history:
Rev. Baylor Wyatt of Gloucester County, Virginia organized the Lebanon Baptist Church of Surry County, Virginia in 1869. According to records, Rev. Wyatt was licensed to preach in the same year. Rev. Wyatt was the builder of the first Lebanon Church, which was later known as the Odd Fellows Hall. According to the deed recorded in Surry County Court House dated July 22, 1895 and verified July 29 of the same year, one acre of land was purchased from R. A. and Mary R. Cocks for the sum of $10. This land was purchased for the building of a church. Mr. P. E. Ellis, Mr. John (Jack) Harrison, and Mr. William Robinson were listed as church trustees. In 1882, while Rev. Wyatt was still pastor, the Lebanon Baptist Association convened for the first time at Lebanon Baptist Church. This is how the Association got its name and how Lebanon became “Mother” of the Association.
Rev. Wyatt's successor was Rev. W. E. Gibbons, a native of the British West Indies. Rev. Gibbons served from about 1894 until Rev. J. C. Allen was elected pastor.
Rev. Allen was a native of Prince George County, Virginia. He was influential in getting the current structure built. Rev. Allen was so committed to ministry at Lebanon Baptist Church that he mortgaged his home to get the building erected. He wanted his congregation to have a decent place to worship. According to verbal accounts, Rev. Allen’s service ended between 1910 and 1911, at which time Rev. A. S. George was elected pastor. Rev. George was the son of the late deacon, Bolden George.
Rev. George received his early education at the Lebanon Elementary School in Surry County and received a degree from Howard University in Washington, D. C. During his tenure, Rev. George was influential in getting the first pastor’s study and new pews. He served until 1919.
Page 1 - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4