CHURCH HISTORY (Continued)
Rev. J. H Alexander of Norfolk, VA next served Lebanon for approximately five months.
Rev. R. B. Page, a native of Brunswick County, VA and Windsor, VA was elected pastor in 1922. While he was pastor, twin steeples were built and a bell was installed. He later became ill while delivering his regular Sunday sermon. He served until his death in 1938.
Rev. M. G. Skinner of Hopewell, VA succeeded Rev. Page and served for about twelve months. After Rev. Skinner, Rev. C. D. Ellis of Norfolk, VA and others served the congregation. The late Rev. Bolden Bradby of Rushmere, VA conducted revival services.
In 1940, Rev. Dr. J. Dett Marshburn was elected pastor. He was educated in Pender County, North Carolina and at Virginia Union University in Richmond, VA. In 1956, Virginia Union honored him with a Doctor of Divinity Degree. Under Dr. Marshburn’s leadership, the Church was successful in getting electric lights installed, the choir loft and pastor’s study were renovated, a choir room was added, all entrances were renovated to include brick steps, and various clubs were organized. Further renovations included a new floor, new water and heating systems, new bathroom facilities and new furnishings. Dr. Marshburn served Lebanon until 1973.
The George account and the 100th Anniversary account chronicle the early history of Lebanon and suggest that Rev. Wyatt initiated a plan for a “church building,” but Lebanon was operational as a congregation shortly after “Mother Howard” came to Virginia to teach and preach. Historical records support the contention that missionaries and “willing workers” labored in the South after the Civil War to help former slaves transition to freedom. “Mother Howard” also helped to establish other churches in Surry.
Lebanon’s history since 1973, and into the twenty-first century, continues to shows a progressive congregation and one that has been committed to the surrounding community.
Rev. O. L. Holiday was called to pastor Lebanon in January 1974. He stressed good stewardship and initiated a renovation program, which included the installation of air conditioning in 1976, and the purchase of new pews in 1977. Rev. Holiday served until 1978. Prior to Rev. Holiday’s tenure, Elder Willie Vicks of Washington, D. C. conducted revival services.
Rev. C. C. Dickerson of Richmond, VA was installed as pastor on May 6, 1979. He developed and implemented a plan to reduce Lebanon’s financial debt. The third Sunday worship services were added and a new envelope giving system was started. Rev. Dickerson served for approximately four years.
Rev. William A. Staples of Hampton, VA was installed on February 3, 1985 and served until October 1989.
On September 15, 1991, Rev. Charles W. Beamon of Portsmouth, VA was installed as pastor. Rev. Beamon started the Hour of Power prayer service on Tuesdays, Bible Study on Wednesdays, and evening hours for Vacation Bible School. Under Rev. Beamon’s leadership, a new Public Address System was installed, new stained glass windows were installed, and the interior of the church was painted. Rev. Beamon served until January 1996.
Rev. Gregory L. Spurlock was installed in 1997. Rev. Spurlock initiated a new renovation and building plan, which included a new sanctuary, new baptism pool, enlarged choir loft, improved dining/fellowship hall, additional storage, and much needed classroom space. The parking lot was paved and a second 15-passenger van was purchased for travel. The church is moving into the twenty-first century and positioning for dramatic work in the community. Rev. Spurlock’s initial theme for ministry was “Pastor and People United in the Spirit, Determined to Make a Difference.” With God’s help and Grace, we are well on our way.
Rev. Dr. Douglas F. Adams
When his home church, Lebanon Baptist Church, in Surry County, lost its Shepard, Dr. Adams was called to step in as Interim Pastor. Having offered the church spiritual guidance, healing and direction, he was elected Pastor of Lebanon Baptist Church on November 18, 2014.
Page 1 - Page 2 - Page 3 - Page 4